View Single Post
Old 17-02-07, 08:56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
I am wondering if there could be a qualification for entry, say 10 photos posted and 20 comments made to ensure that the competition is actually for active WPF members ...
I'm afraid I disagree.

Firstly, if we start going down the route suggested by Chris then the question of time frame come into it - ie how many posts does one need to see over what period to continue to be considered an active member? My posting can be sporadic. Looking back I see that I've posted 7 images this month, but for a 3 month period Sep - Nov last year I only posted 2 so then I perhaps might not be considered an active member

Secondly, to me a great image is a great image is a great image

Quote:
I am not sure if WPF actually has a definition of aims, but it has self-defined itself as being friendly and encouraging, especially to younger and less experienced photgraphers and I feel that the proposed rule change would give that group a fairer chance
Even among the active members we have a great range of skills & experience so it is difficult to see how creating an entry qualification would give younger or less experienced members a fairer chance.

The only way I can see of doing that would be to have some sort of category system as most club competitions do - eg beginners, intermediate & advanced. That in turn implies some sort of ratings and promotions panel and separate competitions. As one of the people involved in organising our clubs internal competitions I know the amount of work involved in goin down that route.

As far as I'm aware all entires in external competitions/exhibitions are judged equally against each other and I my view is that should continue to be the case here at WPF

Quote:
Personally I never vote without first looking at the photgraphers gallery to see if the entry satisfies some definition of an active member.
In competitions where I've witnessed the judging, it is usual for the judge not to be aware of who the author of the image is. They have to judge each image on its own merits. This therefore raises an interesting point, if members are making judgements about a member's worthyness to receive their vote - positive or negative (eg "not considered active", or "they won last month" or "they are a friend") then I would suggest that enties in the competitions should be unattributed/anonymous until the result of the vote is known

Having said all that, now that the competition has been running over 12 months I do believe that there is merit is reviewing the rules. Maybe members should post any rule changes they would like to be considered and see which receive general support. For example in the February Vehicle thread I saw Sassan proposing increasing the number on entries permitted per member. Now that would have my support, subject to an upper limit

Last edited by Gidders; 17-02-07 at 12:40.