View Single Post
Old 22-02-08, 14:11

Oh, I should add my 2p worth of experience with Canon service. Several incidents over the years:

1: A Powershot A95, some years ago. Mysteriously failed one day. It took ages - quite probably the fault of the dealer I went through, may not have had anything to do with Canon, I can't say) and came back replaced with a brand-new one. Unfortunately, the new model was took SD not Compact Flash and was useless for digiscoping. Rather than complain, I just sold it. I had a 20D by then anyway, so it was no great loss.

2: Broken 500/4. (I dropped it!) Fixed very promptly, at am amazingly low cost.

3: 20D shutter, just worn out and failed at the end of a long and hard life. A bit expensive, but prompt and helpful service, I still have the camera (alongside a 1D III and a pair of 40Ds) and it still works perfectly.

Summary: you'd have to call that an excellent service record, especially if we assume the retailer I sent the A95 in through was dragging his feet and that Canon were not responsible for the ~2 month delay.

I have to send my 1D III in for the sub-morror fix shortly: let's hope that Canon are as good to me as they have been so far.