View Single Post
Old 24-04-07, 21:26

Something that should be mentioned about many monopods, which I've found when supporting heavy lenses are that most ball and socket and pan and tilt heads are completely useless and make the unit more cumbersome....that is unless you really need to shoot off the horizontal.
Those correct methods also depend so much on what you're shooting and what you shoot with...tucking that pod behind the leg is great with a lightweight DSLR and std zoom, but it might be a little tricky, unstable and uncomfortable if you got an 800mm on.
I reckon there should be another couple of use the 'correct' way options for the monopod in that guide......first one is that some can make useful walking sticks! second is, they can make carrying heavy lenses suprisingly comfortable (despite a pained expression!)...way more comfortable than using the lens straps over the shoulder! (pic)
I've had that Benbo/Uniloc thing for years without hitch, sealed leg and decent single joint/extension clamp, unlike the Manfrotto one I had who's quick release clips gave up, although in fairness I think they have improved since those uni days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0181.jpg (214.3 KB, 27 views)