View Single Post
Old 16-04-07, 12:10

I must say that I'm impressed by the effectiveness of the sensor cleaning system in my new Canon 400D.

I use two cameras: one pretty much always has the 500/4 mounted but still gets dust problems sometimes because I take the 1.4 converter off and on a few times on an average day.

The second camera uses a variety of lenses, anything from 10-22 to 100-400, and it can have a dozen or more lens changes every day.

There is no way I can keep dust out of my systems: I only shoot outdoors, usually miles from the nearest building, and mostly in the very dry and dusty Australian bush. Bottom line: my cameras get dust in them, regularly. It's a pain.

Up until recently, I've had a pair of 20Ds, but I recently started using a 400D as my second unit. To begin with, I had the dust shaker switched off. It got dust spots inside a couple of days' use, same as the 20Ds. Switched the shaker on, and the problem went away immediately.

I still get dust on the 400D sensor, but rarely, and (so far) everytime it is only for a couple of shots or so - the shaker gets rid of it before I have ruined a whole day's shooting.

I don't doubt that the Olympus one is even better. But I have no doubt at all: the 400D Canon system is well worth having, and I don't think I'd ever again buy a camera that didn't have something similar.