View Single Post
Old 30-07-07, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
Must the huey be connected all the time. I.E could I buy one unit and use it to calibrate a number of monitors all on different computers, afterwards store in a cupboard?
Yes, you could do exactly as you suggest. I use the Huey connected all the time on the main PC with the CRT monitor, this then adjusts for ambient lighting on a regular basis (you can turn this feature off if you want).

I have calibrated the screen on the 2nd PC, fitted with a flat panel screen, this made a huge difference. Having calibrated it, it uses the monitor profile that has been created. The widget was then removed and put back on the main machine with no problems - the same as putting it in the cupboard as far as the 2nd PC is concerned. The monitor still uses the adjusted settings. The only thing it can't do is adjust for changing ambient lighting. Oh, and I forget to recalibrate the screen as often as I should.

As an aside, a work collegue of mine had the basic Huey and used it on his PC which is fitted with dual flat panel displays from two different manufacturers; they gave very different views of the same picture. The basic Huey cannot apply different calibration profiles for multiple displays on the same machine, it can only do one profile setting for the two displays. The Pro can do multiple profiles for multiple displays on the same PC.

I loaned him a copy of the Pro calibration software as it appeared the widget was the same - you can pgrade to "Pro" via the Huey website, it's a software download. The software reported "you haven't got a pro widget, I'm not going to run" (not verbatim ). My collegue bought the upgrade (£40 by the time VAT had been added) and ran the calibration. The upgrade must apply different firmware to the widget as it all ran fine. He's astonished at the difference it's made. He'd previously spent hours trying to adjust both displays manually to try and get them the same, with no joy. He's now seeing the same tones on both screens thanks to the upgrade. Well worth the money he said.

Duncan