View Single Post
Old 22-01-08, 18:42
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post

I'm not sure what functionality NX 'steps' provides - it sounds like a sophisticated undo facility. While layers offers this as well, they also give the capability to fade the effect of any particular action by reducing the opacity
Each STEP has an opacity %age equivalent to that on a LAYER and can be turned on/off individually. The ones checked 'on' act cumulatively without having to decide on a % opacity for higher layers. The steps all get saved in a saved .nef file whether on or off and whether originating from a nef or jpg, so you can revisit/re-edit as on a .psd

Quote:
For example my shot Slate Fence used combinations of this and the layer masking technique described above to bring out the shaft of sunlight on the slate and mosses in the foreground to lighten the light parts without lightening the dark parts.
The 'Control points' do this by acting either within their radius as set or also bounded by a selection shape - for brightness,contrast, R,G,B,warmth ± - or in 'linked enhancements' ie employing additional filters from the menus.

The 'partial selection' zones also define a boundary (with optional feathering and opacity) within which any combination of other 'enhancements' work that are in menus. This does not however apply to sharpening; that can only be done on the camera settings (best), ie only on .nef, or there is unsharp mask (with usual attendant dangers). So for what you described, you would have to start sharp everywhere (why I did it in DPP on your CR2) and then use blur filtering where you didn't want it.

Quote:
We probably need to get together some time to understand the capabilities and benefits of the respective software packages
Now why didn't I think of that. Love to only am slightly confined to home except for limited excursions at present, but you are welcome here, as are any WPF members, for a quickie meet.