View Single Post
Old 15-11-09, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Hi Simon,

I'm not familiar with this specific lens, but do quite a bit of still life/macro stuff. I think a lot depends on what your intended subject matter is. 200mm is long, very long for macro work, and the DoF you're going to get with 200mm at close ranges will be extremely shallow, even by the usual macro close up standards.

You say you are a novice, if so, then I'm not sure that this is the lens to learn on, especially if it's big and expensive.

I couldn't really say which lens would be best for you without knowing what sort of things you'll be taking pictures of, and at what sort of distances.

Regarding Mr Rockwell, would you pay that much attention to a stranger in a bar who expressed an opinion?
Depth of field is relative to the distance of image to film/sensor in relation to image magnification and F stop used regardless of which lens you use. For instance if you use a 90mm at a distance to image ratio which gives you a 1/1 (lifesize) image, then there is no difference if you use a 200mm giving the same 1/1 image, except that the distance between subject and film/sensor plane will be greater.

If the 200mm Macro is too big for what you need and you want to stay with Nikon have a look for a secondhand 75-150mm Macro, it's a cracker.

nirofo.