Thread: Flashgun advice
View Single Post
Old 07-11-09, 10:59

I have the Metz 58, and I used to have the Sigma 500 DG ST (not the super). The difference in build quality between the two brands was night and day. Having seen the specifications of the Sigma 530 super, I dare say that technically there's not a lot to choose between them. But having owned both brands, I will go with Metz every time now, it is much, much better build quality.

The Metx also has a USB port on it so you can update the firmware as needed without needing to send it back to Metz if any bugs are found or new camera models come out that require an update. When I bought a Pentax K10D, I had to send the Sigma off to get it re-chipped to work with this model. Because the gun was <2 years old, Sigma didn't charge for the actual rechipping, but I had to pay for postage to Sigma and also the return postage from Sigma, and I was without the gun for about 10 days. Wouldn't have had this issue if I'd been able to update the firmware myself.

If you can't stretch to the Metx 58, the 48 is quite a bit cheaper and near identical (lower power output).