Thread: First camera
View Single Post
Old 14-11-11, 08:22

This is only my experience; other people may have different experiences. I bought a Sony α350 in January 2009. It came with two kit lenses, an 18 to 70 mm and a 55 to 200. The body was built in Japan, the lenses were built in China.

Although it didn’t have all the functions that a Canon or Nikon could offer, I was pleased with the body and with the photographs I was getting.

In June 2010 the 18 to 70 mm lens started making loud mechanical noises; the plastic gear ring for focussing required replacement.

In May this year it started making the same noises as did the 55 to 200 mm lens, which had had a lot less use.

I decided to replace the lot and bought a Canon 60D with a couple of lenses that each cost more than the entire Sony kit. Since then I have probably taken more photographs with the Canon than I did with the Sony, without any problems.

Possibly Sony has improved their quality control, but it was clear when I took my lens in for repair that it wasn’t the first that they had seen and that they knew exactly what was the problem.