View Single Post
Old 23-02-06, 19:48

WOW my back hurts after falling off my chair!

I thought I would repeat my test changing a few factors. Firstly we are looking at 100% crops, on dpreview they use 200% to show difference between JPEG and RAW. I altered in-camera sharpening to 'normal' and did a size priority jpeg and quality priority jpeg. Finally I set RAW compression to OFF. I hoped to give RAW a better comparison.

I looked at the two jpegs and thought, yeah well I will not show the test tonight as its not square, I'll have another go tomorrow. Out of curiosity I converted the RAW and looked at them all 200% then.....BANG - legs in the air and sore lumber region!

I could not believe what I saw, two JPEG's have little in it but look close there is a difference. RAW seems to be picking up the print detail from the label much more than JPEG but when you realise its there, it can be seen. When I looked with my eyes at the tomato's label the printing lines are there, but your own chopped tomatoes from J. Sainsbury's and see.

Shown below is the composite of 100% and the original resized only. To see clearer use photoshop or similar to enlarge the image 200%!

I am considering using uncompressed RAW from now on, and fit thicker carpet and underlay in my office
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rawtest230206.jpg (295.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg fullshot230206.jpg (293.8 KB, 16 views)