View Single Post
Old 10-04-08, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
But as with all things I suppose it is horses for courses - I wonder now what others are thinking.
I guess it depends on your style Andy. I was never into cross processing in the wet darkroom days nor did I get into the Cokin filter system as it was just not my style. In the film days I was primarily into Technical Pan ( b&w ) and colour was primarily transparency Kodachrome 25 & 64 and Fujichrome 50. That all suggests fine grain and high resolution were my drivers.

Along came WPF before which I had spent most of my time in the previous few years Model Engineering so took very few pics.
WPF fired the enthusiasm again and I quickly found the limitations for me in the D100. Primarily I could not use any of my old lenses so was limited to 28-105 zoom. For my flash stuff the dark viewfinder and manual focussing were just a pain. ( Manual focus used to get focus at a precise point while still filling the frame as much as possible to maximise the available pixels A/F points always in the wrong place. )

I then took a concious decision to throw all the available budget into the finest grain - read - sensor resolution body with a decent viewfinder available within that budget and recognise I would be using my old M/F lenses, even to the point of making adaptors to allow the use of old enlarging lenses for macro. This probably marks me out as the WPF oddball.

Next problem with digital was processing. Before Foxy visited and through reading the various threads in the forum I was pretty clueless. After a bit of experimentation I discovered the difference between RAW and Jpeg and decided I had to always shoot in RAW. On the D100 the differences are quite marked even on a straight raw conversion. With a lot of help from Foxy I was on the way using Nikon Capture 4. Photoshop is a complex program ........ easy for those who know how but not for initial use. Along came NX and I was happy as it is so easy to pick up. Quality of posted images improved.

A few images posted in the gallery such as Rudras -
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...user=3028&sl=r
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...user=3028&sl=r
then fired the desire to get a bit of a better handle on CS. Not that I don't think NX could make a fair job, but possibly I could get better B&W conversion in CS. Now Rudra has been kind enough to post his composites and some of the original images that made them up I am even more fired up. No cash to spend, so no Wacom tablet or other processing progs so it will all have to be done with what I currently have. But then thats the challenge.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 10-04-08 at 12:49.