View Single Post
Old 04-01-06, 13:55

Don,

And a very good job you made of it too! My comment was made with a bit of tongue in cheek. The effects you described were spot on. Many people observing wide angle and telephoto effects think that focal length effects perspective. I did for nearly fifty years until I read an article explaining how use of non standard lenses causes one to adopt a different view point and it is this which changes the perspective. I think your explanations were far more valuable than my pedantic comment. I am sure you were aware of all this. My sense of humour often gets me into trouble. I should learn but somehow I don't.
Kind regards,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
John,

I was trying my best to describe an effect that the use of lenses of different focal lengths has on objects in the near and far distance.

I may well have used the wrong term and for that I appologise. As the bulk of my education was done under a Flat Top Thorn tree in Kenya and I have only one book on photographic technique, ( and this is not described there ). I was trying my best to find one word that would do.

So I am quite happy to bow to your knowlege of terms.

Allways willing to learn - what word is used to describe this effect ?

Don