View Single Post
Old 22-12-09, 16:54

Hi Alex,

I know from previous posts you are a film guy and no probs there. ( Quick decent to " Can you picture your Japanese all-electronic wunderkamera working seamlessly in 70 years time? The CCD/CMOS will be broken, the electronics frazzled, it won’t interface with the computer and the file format won’t be supported. " )

I shot 6x6 almost exclusively for 14 years, and chuck in some 5x4 and 6x9 as well in that time, so from a previous big film user I think you will find a 12mp digital shot in RAW with a quality lens will trump 645 never mind 35mm, when scanned on anything us mere mortals can afford. A few articles on the web where 12mp will give all but the finest grain 6x6 a run for its money and that is using decent scanners, as film grain finally intrudes on the films ability to record fine detail. If you cannot afford to high end scan film negs, or afford to run a darkroom using quality enlarging lenes the whole film v digital is a bit of a non arguement. I have been doing research on M/F for Jim and note that labs will offer a hq scan from 120film that run to 60mb tiffs. My D2X does 70mb tiffs from raw without uprezzing.

Had a bit of a chuckle over this part " 35mm film was invented, which was commonly used by amateurs (journalism always stayed with medium format) ".
True in the early days. Huge Speed Grahics then replaced by TLR Rollie's. But when was the last time you saw a press pack with using TLR's. Late 60's probably. But for journo photogs the Nikon F would not have made its name, and that was released in 1959.

You are quite right on the affordability front though. In retirement I would have given up photography due to film, chemical and paper costs, but digital saved me there. I still have my darkroom in the loft but cannot afford to get it going again so I will be a staunch defender of digital as without it I would no longer be taking many pics.

Film cameras I still have ....... Olympus XA, Nikkormat FTN, Nikkormat FT3, Nikon F2AS, Nikon F3HP, YashicaMat 124G, 3 folding 2 1/4 square's, and one folding 6x9 all of which got regular use when I was in paid employment so could afford to run them.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 22-12-09 at 17:08.