View Single Post
Old 06-11-12, 11:55

Default My photo of the week

In the light of all the discussions about POTW, I thought I would start a thread going on personal choices for POTW. The only 'rules' I would add are that you should only choose one image from the last seven days' postings in the gallery, it shouldnt be your own work and you should explain why it appeals to you.
So here goes: my personal POTW is here: http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ll&limit=last7

It appeals to me mainly because of its depiction of a pastoral idyll - the patchwork fields with copses of trees in autumn coluors, a quiet road winding through the scene and a cottage tucked under the hill. It conjures a wonderful sense of timelessness - remove a few telegraph poles and it could be any time in the last 100 years. The grazing sheep enliven the foreground and give a sense of the landscape in use, as a living scene.
Compositionally, the areas of woodland and the road divide the for and mid-ground in a well-balanced and harmonious way, with the distant hill on the left horizon giving a sense of the greater landscape around the image. Although the light is strong and contrasty, this doesnt detract from the scene as there is still plenty of detail and rich colour. The cloud details in the sky just finish it off nicely.

Last edited by gordon g; 06-11-12 at 19:49.