View Single Post
Old 15-06-06, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw
You don’t say what tone your plane is and what colour your sky is? When thinking of planes I tend to think of a predominantly white plane against a blue sky, which would be fairly easy to check. A dark plane against a white sky, a white plane against a dark sky; both would be fairly straightforward also, I think.

In simple terms, if the plane were white, you’d expect to see spikes to the right of the histogram, but not up against the right edge, as this would represent overexposure. This would hold true whatever the colour of the sky. If the plane were black, you’d expect to see spikes to the left of the histogram, but not up against the left edge, as this would represent underexposure. Over or underexposure are both probably impossible to detect from the image alone.
I was actually thinking of this image:
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=34

How can I tell from the histogram that I've got the exposure of the 'plane right? All the histogram is telling me is how many pixels I have at a particular tonal value. As long as I don't have a huge spike to the far left or far right then I can understand what you are saying. But this image, like many other similar shots, just has a peak somewhere in the middle. It can still be a peak in a different part of the middle section and be over or under exposed by probably 0.7 to 1.0 stops.

Advice?

Duncan