View Single Post
Old 25-01-19, 12:31

Mike: I am totally with you and glad to see someone else, thinking just like me. But must admit and though I don't use AF often, this new Sony rocks there. Its not only that this one is the fastest AF on earth today, but its AF Tracking is something that can be really lifesaver, if you shoot sport and action. That is it tops off its remarkable older A6000 that had a great fame, only for this feature. Don't know if you are familiar with this or not, but this is a good video to watch, in terms of what Auto Tracking does for you (Older review with A6000):
LINK

And if you are looking into A7, you are in very right path. Recently with arrival of A7iii, price of A7ii dropped to mere half! So Santa was kind enough to bring me one for Christmas :-) and compare to my A6000 s, I must say this thing is lovely (Though a lot of people complain and nag about it). Especially I like the improvement in higher ISO for night shooting and better sensor. But then size is midway between NEX / A6*00 s and a regular DSLR, so to say about the cons. And of course the other con is you must use full frame lenses so more to spend. But the excellent thing is, unlike Canon, a lot of things in terms of dials and operation are similar to my other Sony (A6000) and that familiarity for me is priceless. Even the batteries are the same as A6000 that is big plus for me, when already having many extra batteries and chargers, so no need to spend again.

Marydoll: I totally feel your pain and been there. In fact I had to go and see a neuro surgeon for sever neck pain, as result of long hours of caring heavy camera body and lens (My Canon stuff) on my shoulder and around the neck. That is why a Mirrorless camera comes as total relief, like a dream. And really it doesn't mater which brand, as long as you find it fit in your hand and right for your style. Sony is the leader there but Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus all make fantastic cameras and each exceed in one area or more.
The G9 you mentioned for budget, is probably the best choice for many Youtuber due to its excellent Video. And as you mentioned, the dual (In body and lens) stabilizer that they call it: 5-axis in-body image stabilization with Dual I.S. 2 (CIPA rated 6.5 stops) is AMAZING. G9 is a very capable competitor of GH5 and in my book, the winner as I sincerely believe in Performance/Price ratio. Currently and with your Canon lens IS, probably you get a max benefit of 3 stop. But above all, that reduction of weight for almost similar result, in terms of IQ, is the miracle of this new technology.
Go for it and don't look back. Though you may miss Canon Glass and wide choice. But again interchangeable Lumix Panasonic lenses with Olympus and then adapters that can provide you compatibility with virtually any lens (At a price and some compromise) is still promising. Make sure to go to shop that allow you to hold the camera physically and play with it for some time to make sure it all fits your hand and your demand. If that is not an option, consider renting one for a weed end or so. And if you are to know anything negative about it: That is a roamer (For now), is that the micro four-third (M43) format may die off in coming years. Though you don't have to believe everything you hear, its not bad to have a look at this, so you make an informed decision, before unloading a large sum of money on a new camera.
LINK
How much this news should affect you? I don't know, but if I was you, to buy today, this was absolutely not a deal breaker for me as most cameras are in need of a change in 3-5 years and that is the predicted bad time for M43.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN