View Single Post
Old 08-11-06, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Contrary to most folk on here who ferret away their images on huge backup disk storage I’ve kept only a small percentage of my shots over the past 3 yrs. My working drive is 15Gb. I have a 40Gb drive kicking around but have never got around to swapping it over. Once in a while I backup some of the originals I want to keep to CDROM. I suppose I have 4 or 5 CDROM of images which I rarely look at again. The majority are kept as jpeg. I never keep the PSD files.

So what do you folk do with all these tens of thousands of images you have stored? Do I under estimate the value of my images or is the trash can the best place for them

I reckon there's a variation of 'Parkinson's Law' at work - the bigger hard-drive you've got, the more you're likely to store all sorts of shots, 'just in case' and the more likely you are to work on them and store the psd and tiffs as well as jpegs.

Sooner or later you then have to back-up, either onto a seperate drive or writable disc and with a huge number this means DVD-Rs rather than CD-Rs and, bearing in mind all of those old negatives stored away in drawers around the house, most of them will never see the light of day again!

I wonder how much time has been wasted on doing all of the work and then waiting whilst they're being written to discs, in the forlorn hope that some day some publisher will recognise our 'genius' and ask for some older shots as well as recent photos for their up-market publication that pays a fortune for each shot used...

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway