View Single Post
Old 08-04-06, 21:44

Noise reduction can be simple or complex. The problem with complex is if you don't really understand it there is more chance of screwing it up.

The two programs that most folk use for jpeg are Picture Cooler and Neat Image.

I tend to favour Neat Image and I will use it to show you in it's simplest form.

When you download the program from Neat Image make sure that you also download the Noise Profiles for your model of camera.

Once the program is installed unzip the Profiles into the Profiles directory of Neat Image.

Running Neat Image in it's simplest form is as easy as one, two, three.

1) Load your image ( I tend to denoise a jpeg before Post processing as sharpening can leave noise that is difficult to remove and your image exhibits some of that).

2) Select the Camera Noise profile that matches the shutter speed and ISO setting.

3) process and save.

The problem with using Auto profile method your image must have a suitable area for it to generate it from or it will blur fine detail.

The Downloaded versions of profile are not perfect but will deal with 85% of the noise with little effort on your behalf.

Perhaps if you denoise the humming bird before cropping and sharpening it may look cleaner still.

Tab 1 to 4

1) Open and load your image

2) Don't use Auto - On the Right marked by green circle open profiles.
Select a profile that matches ISO and shutter speed.

3) Skip this tab - Advanced setting - by skipping it you are accepting the defaults.
When you feel more confident you may want to nose around and see what you can tweak.

4) Click on apply, when it has processed save the new image.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-07-11 at 22:35.