View Single Post
Old 27-05-07, 20:37

Default I spy with my little eye .........

A case of what do you do when it's chucking it down with rain. This fly was plaguing me in the workshop so a change of mission and no way was I going to be able to do a flight shot Christine.

Thinking back to Alex and the reversed lens idea, I tried that by reversing the 28mm onto the 105mm. Result serious vignetting. Pic attatched. That problem is solved from 200mm onwards. The upside is that auto diaphragm is retained but lens to subject distance is very small. My 200mm is f4 so in todays light focussing was a nightmare.

So in for a penny in for a pound and I dragged out an old Sigma 24mm that has not been used since the 80's. Reversed this gives pretty impressive magnification.

Field of view in the viewfinder is 10mm edge to edge. Lens to subject distance is around 1 1/2 inches. Dof is no more than a couple of millimeters. Lighting is a problem, as is not scaring the subject. At least Nikon have a lever system for the diagphragm so I was able to stop the lens down to f16 and use the lever to open the lens up while focussing. Focussing was done by moving the camera in and out. Flash on half power ( flash duration 1/1100 sec ) ensured sufficient speed to freeze the shot.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 105-with-rev-28.jpg (59.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Fly-full-frame.jpg (99.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg I-spy-with-my-little-eye-...jpg (163.6 KB, 26 views)