View Single Post
Old 27-11-09, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Green View Post
Dear all

Just as I was contemplating purchasing my first DSLR I've come to the conclusion that my nackered old PC wouldn't be able to cope with larger format file sizes, just tried to upload and edit 15 images taken with a 12m pixal bridge camera I borrowed last week (not even a DSLR) and my PC has repeatedly crashed everytime I tried to crop or use the different effects on picasa.

My problem being, at present I can't afford a new PC and a new camera so just wondering what everyone else is using as regards to power and memory etc to store and edit pictures on and what sort of budget I should be thinking of?

I don't want to store thousands of pictures, just a few dozen of the best ones and edit them as and when....with simple post editing software maybe progressing to PS later on.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

You don't say what computer you are using at the moment, can you give us the spec for your PC, it may be possible to upgrade it to a higher spec without breaking the bank. You may be able to upgrade your processor, more memory is possible, don't worry about XP 3gb limit, if you can install 4gb go with it, XP will use it even if it says it doesn't recognise it and Photoshop will love it. Graphics cards more than suitable for working with image files are available from about £25 with up 500mb of memory. Let us know the spec of your PC and how much you are willing to spend on it and it may be possible to come up with a solution.

Picasa is not really a very good graphics program for rendering quality images from a large RAW files, it's probably OK with JPEGS but I wouldn't use it for anything serious. Photoshop Elements 7 can be picked up for about £25 if you shop around, Paint Shop Pro 11 is also another good Graphics program which can be had at a very good price. Both programs are previous releases so don't demand the top price of the latest release, they are both more than capable of producing first class images from anything you can throw at them.

nirofo.