View Single Post
Old 20-01-06, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Turner
I have a Canon 100-400 L IS lens. The instructions say to turn the Image Stabilisation off if the camera is on a tripod. Can anyone tell me if leaving the IS on when on a tripod will actually damage the lens? Also what about if you are hand holding with a very stable footing or say resting on a wall, does the IS have to be turned off then?

TIA

Robin
Hi Robin

I looked into this recently when comparing Sigma and Canon Prime lenses...whilst not gospel from the manfacturers, this is what I understand:

The latest Canon lenses have 3rd generation IS, which means that it detects if placed on a tripod (or similar) and 'switches off' to avoid feedback loops - i.e. the IS motor vibrations triggering the IS sensor! I think that the 500, 600 and mk III 75-300 lenses have this version of the IS, but not sure on the 100-400...

Best guess is that the IS will only ruin your shots and battery life if left on rather than break anything. However, I understand that the manuals for lenses with 3rd generation IS did say to switch off the IS on a tripod, although this may have been changed now.

Cheers Mark.