Thread: IR on the CHEAP
View Single Post
Old 07-05-09, 20:48

Talking IR on the CHEAP

Following the interest in IR by Andy and Peter I posted a mock job from a standard colour pic in the gallery with the idea of posting how I did it.

While trying to work that out and I am not the greatest in pp the mind wandered.
Ever one for trying to do things on the cheap I was now on a mission.
Not having an IR filter I hunted for something fairly opaque. I tried stacked polarisers but that did not appear to be very sucessful. ....... mmmmm. A trip into the loft and a bit of a rummage later I found a slide film frame 6 x 6cm that was unexposed but developed and large enough to cover a 52mm filter thread . It appeared dark enough to restrict normal light other than on a really long exposure so I thought I would give it a go.
I taped it with electrical tape to an adaptor ring for my bellows lens hood so the join is light tight. No point getting too fancy if it did not work and if it was a partial sucess I might need to add another layer.

As is the way of things I really needed bright light to maximise the IR effect so of course that is when the clouds came in.
Attached is the test image taken in a short spell of sunshine. Although the foreground crop is rapeseed ( yellow flower) the stems, hedgerow and middle ground trees record quite well. Also the sky is recorded similarly to what I have had with genuine IR I have taken on film in similar conditions.
Exif is a dead duck as I used the D100 and a manual focus 24mm lens so it does not compute.
This was taken at ISO200 at f8 exposure 1/2sec. Focus was set to infinity on the IR mark. Taken in RAW and converted to B&W in NX2 with some curves adjustment.

Don

PS. I expect Harry (Wolfie) to be rolling around with laughter when he sees this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY IR Filter.jpg (189.2 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Don Hoey; 07-05-09 at 20:52.