Thread: IR on the CHEAP
View Single Post
Old 10-05-09, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Nicely done Don, I notice the long exposure times and the ISO creeping up, as far as I know, one of the main advantages of a body conversion is that normal speed and high speed become possible?
We need Harry to answer that one Andy. My set up is free so I expect to pay a penalty on the convenience front. But the same would apply to anyone going the IR filter route.

As promised attached is a pic showing the arrangement for supporting the unexposed but developed transparency film ( 2 layers ). It is taped position with black insulating tape onto a Cokin adaptor ring. As I have a bellows hood I am using that, but as I did with the close-up job I made for Ros, the hood could be the end of a black plastic plant pot. That keeps the cost down to around £5 if you can scrounge the film. Just to prove you do not need anything fancy on the lens front, the one I am using here is an old manual focus Sigma 24mm f2.8. You could probably get something like that for around £30 I guess.

Is it recording InfraRed ??
Attatched is a test I did in the garden yesterday. The non IR emitting objects recorded black so I am quite happy that the film filter is operating in the IR range. A note about exposures with this. Light loss is around 10 stops from standard, so a tripod is essential. Exposures in sunlight will be no better than ISO 400, 1/2 sec at f11.

Lastly I attatch an image taken today. Not the best compositionally, but as the statue is inside the stud at Sandringham and there were a number of parked cars around, its a case of beggers can't be choosers for position.

I guess the next thing to discuss is processing.
I am using NX2 apart from final resize and sharpen. Just could not get my head around CS for channel mixing to remove the colour cast. It seems way more complicated than NX2.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filter-&-Mount.jpg (175.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IR-test.jpg (91.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Persimon.jpg (178.7 KB, 16 views)