Thread: IR on the CHEAP
View Single Post
Old 11-05-09, 10:29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
We need Harry to answer that one Andy. My set up is free so I expect to pay a penalty on the convenience front. But the same would apply to anyone going the IR filter route.

As promised attached is a pic showing the arrangement for supporting the unexposed but developed transparency film ( 2 layers ). It is taped position with black insulating tape onto a Cokin adaptor ring. As I have a bellows hood I am using that, but as I did with the close-up job I made for Ros, the hood could be the end of a black plastic plant pot. That keeps the cost down to around £5 if you can scrounge the film. Just to prove you do not need anything fancy on the lens front, the one I am using here is an old manual focus Sigma 24mm f2.
I had a play with an IR converted D200 last week and the speeds were just as normal, not loosing the stops that you do with a filter. Clearly it gives it an edge but at ~£300 for a conversion you need to be committed to get it done. I'd be interested to have a punt at your cheaper version, any idea where I might be able to get the unexposed but developed transparency film that you mentioned?