View Single Post
Old 12-12-08, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
Hmmm I seriously doubt that spending 10x more on a lens will get you a 10x better photo.

Whilst you'll see a difference in test shots where the scene is designed to show up a particular flaw in the optics, for day to day use you'll see none of it. At best you'll get a warm cosy feeling in having spent 10x more than the next guy. Mind you he's probably got a warm cosy feeling at having spent 10x less than you.
I agree that the cost/benefit ratio is not linear. Your picture will not be 10x better, it's the person pressing the button that makes that level of difference.

I don't agree that for day to day use you won't see the difference. If your pictures are all taken at say f/11 and 30mm then I agree that the differences in the final images between kit lens and one at 10x price will probably not be that that great. If that's the argument you are making, then I agree.

If you compare the final images once you start using these lenses at their extremes, wide open, then you most definitely will see differences. Whether these differences are worth 10x the cost is an entirely subjective decision that only the individual can take.

Duncan