Thread: next purchase?
View Single Post
Old 13-12-05, 22:31
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtfoto
After much deliberation (prime over zoom) I've decided to save my loonies (that's Canadian dollars) for the Sigmonster, the 300-800mm zoom. I think the clincher was some shots I saw on another forum by a Filipino member who has posted some amazing images with his Sigmonster, full out at 800mm, with a 2x, etc. Just spent two weeks in Florida, mostly hanging about Ding Darling, with my Bigma (50-500mm) and a 2x always on, but felt the extra reach would have come in handy with some of the warblers and other songbirds. Also, I really enjoy shooting the smaller birds, so the Sigmonster would be a nice fit.
Why not a prime? Well, I feel the Bigma is an excellent lens at 500mm, and pretty workable at 1000 with the 2x. The next step would be a 600mm (Canon) plus TCs, but that still would only get me to 1200mm. The Sigmonster's reach with a 2x is 1600mm.
And cost is also a factor. In Canada, the 600mm Canon goes for about $11,000 (before taxes), while the Sigmonster cashes out at about $6,200 (before taxes).
And it also has the zoom, which I find more practical for the type of bird photography I do. So many times, I see fellow photogs with primes having to back up or close in on a particular bird (because of the fixed focal length), while I stand and rotate the zoom ring.
cheers,
jim
Yes, Romy is a great advert for the Sigmonster. I had the decision to make as well, but a 600/4 won when the AF aspect comes in to play... it's a longer lens where AF is concerned, with a 1.4x tc it will AF as fast as without and at 850mm f5.6 (with a 1.7x tc, AF is still rapid)... the ability ability to shoot at f4 is pretty important in the U.K. as well as the amazing bokeh of an f4 (i hate that 'word' but it's general parlance these days).
Value wise, the Sigmonster has it, the zoom offers great flexibility as well.