View Single Post
Old 31-12-05, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
My first efforts. The first two are without flash.I couldn't get the lighting right with the penny so did this without flash. I used the bellow which I can fine tune with the rail, all done on f16 had to play around with angle's diffusion, and bounce.
Hi Christine,

So a good mornings play.

The coin has come out well and just needs a touch of sharpening. I have had a go and attach it. Amazing what you got from an old 2.8 ziess tessar 50mm lens !!
The corn I gave a touch of contrast and sharpened. If you look at it you can see the zone of sharpness front to back. In close up work as you increase magnification the zone of sharpness falls away very quickly.
You can also see it here http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...3&d=1135954693 the face of the in focus gear is 5mm from the out of focus back.

As a result of this you have to be selective about the angle at which you take your subject.

I attach a graphic to explain. In your case for the elipse imagine it as a fly. Head on you could not get all of it sharp, where as sideways on you could. You can see the effect easily by typing a bit of text on your smallest font using M and X ie MXMXMXMXMXMX . Set the camera at a sharpish angle and focus dead on centre of an X. You will now be able to easily see your zone of sharpness at various bellows extension. Sometimes to get all of your subject sharp you will have to use carefull selection of angle and less magnification.

I hope you find this is helpful.

Well done today.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chritines penny sharpened.jpg (58.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Christines corn_contrast and USM.jpg (42.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Macro zone of sharpness.jpg (42.6 KB, 10 views)