View Single Post
Old 19-12-05, 19:34

I have only been to DP Review forums a few times since joining BirdForum - just not enough time but out of interest I will look for this thread - sounds like this guy should have been using video.

Quote:
The subject for further discussion is: Do you advocate machine gun photography, and if so, why?
I think there are situations where selective use of burst photography is well justified. Sports and action spring to mind and I have seen some superb images that may otherwise have not happened.
On the whole though I am a believer in a considered approach. Medium format with its reversed viewfinder image slowed me down. 5 x 4 slowed me to veritable crawl. Number of dead shots - 5 x 4 very few, medium format a few more, 35mm quite a lot more. Says something ? Apart from the cost of film I think the bigger viewfinder just made you slow down and think a bit.

If Leaf digital backs were a long way under their £15,000 I may have stayed with MF.

In 35mm I always had a drive attatched but this was primarily to give better handling and a more stable platform when not on a tripod. Just weighed the F2AS with 50mm f1.4 in at 1950g - without film. That mass really damps mirror bounce. Very stable when using a longer lens. Using the F2 drive ( powered by 8AA batteries ) in earnest could be hazardous to your film if the frame counter is not properly set as it will rip the film out of its cannister without this stop set.

I do think that with the arrival of higher buffers, bigger image storage and no frame cost in digital ( other than time sifting the results ) , the temptation to blast away will grow in some area's of the hobby.

Don