View Single Post
Old 16-12-05, 21:28

Default How I took the picture of my model traction engine.

In response to a question from Andy I thought I would post here as I can include a picture.

I have 2 graduated vinyl background materials about 45 inches square. One green/white and one blue/white. They are very handy when taking pictures of small items as there is no background clutter. I have posted a few pictures using them in the BirdForum tripods forum.

I do not know if you can still get them today as mine are over 10 years old. When looking I found this link to UK Camera shops that some may find useful when searching for that elusive bit.http://www.ukcamera.com/welcome.htm

Other than physically placing the model ( 56 lbs ) the greatest problem was lighting it. On the move to Norfolk I have misplaced my flash slave so I could only use one flash. Luckily I have the SC17 lead so can use it off camera.

I set the whole thing up in the lean-to outside the workshop. This allowed for some natural light ( slightly overcast sky ) with the flash providing highlights.

For those that are unfamiliar with flash photography the primary thing in a situation like this is to diffuse the flash light as much as possible. I always think of flash as being a bit like the sun. Direct sun - harsh shadows, overcast ( diffused ) sun - soft shadows. In this shot the flash has a diffuser fitted and was fired though a lastolite white reflector, to give maximum diffusion. A secondary lastolite white reflector was used to bounce light back and fill the chimney and smokebox door.
In post processing I cropped and added a touch of lightness and contrast and sharpening. In my darkroom days this would have been a straight print.

For anyone wanting to try such photography polystyrene sheets make great cheap reflectors.

I attatch both pictures here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alchin _ how it was done.JPG (136.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Model Traction Engine.JPG (119.5 KB, 32 views)