View Single Post
Old 30-06-07, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
[So, are megapixels important?
In summary, NO! Megapixels do offer greater scope to select an area of a photograph to crop and provide greater fine detail but often negated when printing standard size photographs and sharing using the Internet. More megapixels require more hard disk capacity to hold for long term storage. Greater processing power is also required if shooting RAW mode and often have greater amount of noise. Lower megapixel sensors gather more light resulting in cleaner images but with less detail but require less storage capacity.
For internet I have experience with the D2X. Images with a high level of detail I have had to shrink so much they just look nothing like the origional. Some are then not worth posting even with WPF's generous file size allowance.

Processing power - I had to get a pc upgrade before I could handle my RAW files and have just invested in a large capacity stand alone drive to hold the tiffs.

Can I see the difference on screen between a D2X and a D100 image ........ well yes I can, but then a lot of my pics are for a better word ' hard ' subjects with a lot of detail. Soft subjects like flowers, then they follow Stephens examples above and you would be harder pressed to tell the difference between D100 and D2X on resized to 1024 x 760 images. As for 800 x 600 then even in a detailed image so much is lost in the shrink that a 6mp could look better than a 12mp.

The one other thing that will make a significant difference is lens quality. Top lens on a 4mp will probably give a better resulting image than mediocre lens on 6 - 8mp camera. Foxy probably does not have access to such to prove me wrong.

Don