View Single Post
Old 29-01-10, 15:42

Alex,
If your standard ex lab machine prints are 6x4, 7x5 or 8x6 then they really tell you next to nothing nothing about the film or camera lens's ability to record fine detail. Almost any 35mm camera with any lens, even the most budget jobs can easily be printed to that size. You may spot if a a really rubbish lens used but thats about it. From 35mm you need to get to at least 12x16 from full frame 35mm before things really start to show.

As far as this thread goes then it is fair enough for you to use film and have lab prints as you do, but from that standpoint as you are not seeing everything that film will deliver, and you cannot realistically get involved in film v digital never mind going as far as film even Velvia is superior to digital. Yeah I read KR, and its another one of his 'stoke a contraversy' to generate more hits articles. Sometimes that guy just spouts rubbish.

Your link to KR suggests that it is being used as some sort of justification for using film. This is not necessary. If you want to use film thats fine, whatever medium suits you.

If you want to discuss or argue the case for film then you really do need to experience digital imaging from a DSLR ( for its sensor size ). Only then can you really understand both sides of the fence and give reasoned opinions. If you have a friend with one, see if you can get a couple of full frame 16 bitTiffs made from RAW files.

All this is a bit reminiscent of the days when it was all film. ie the arguement then was that 35mm is a miniature format and you need to get into medium format if you are anyway serious. Larger neg requires less magnification at the enlarging stage. Then into medium format this continued into 6x4.5 v 6x6 v 6x7 v 6x9 debate. Then 5x4 will blow all that away, and while we are on large fomat 10x8 well now you are talking. And all that before talking about various film emulsions and developing brews.

Now we have digital, we are in the world of Canon v Nikon v Pentax v Sony et al, to which you have added v film.
Those that moved from film to digital did so as a conscious decision, and are well aware of the positives and negatives if they feel there are any.
The only thing I really miss from my Bronica 6x6 is the large viewfinder. Massive by comparison with my D2X. Processing Cibachromes in a length of plastic drain pipe is certainly something I would not want to go back to.

My view is ...................its Simples ...... research the gear then just use whatever suits your individual budget, style and photographic requirements best.

The old mine is better than yours bragging rights over kit is generally short lived unless you have very deep pockets so why bother. In the end its the pics and your enjoyment of the hobby that really count. If you have the cash and can afford the latest and greatest and it increases your enjoyment, then no probs here unless you then tell me my kit is rubbish, in which case we will then enter the convince me with pics not words territory.

Don