View Single Post
Old 28-04-06, 21:42

To illustrate the need to occasionaly go high with a tripod I attach a picture from another thread that I took yesterday. I have in the past quite often been in a similar situation to this, as can be seen in the flash thread behind the scenes posts.

I have just been out to my workshop and checked and the viewfinder was 6feet 5 inches above the ground to get the required angle. I have the 3 leg section of this tripod and with legs extended I required 4 inches of centre column. With the 055 I could just about have made it with full centre column. The difference in stability HUGE and I would not even consider using the 055 in this situation. I also used my laptop to trigger the camera and make exposure adjustments, step ladder only used for framing.

It all depends on the type of pictures you take as to your tripod needs. I have 4 - Slik 88, Benbo Mk1, 055MF3, Slik professional.

Each does its job, and each has its limitations. If I was to be limited to one and one only, then for me it would be the Slik. Bit of a weight to carry but that is its only let down if compared to the 055. If there is a wind blowing and we go to Titchwell I will put my scope on that as it as it is far more stable than the 055 in those conditions. No wind or light winds I will use the 055 for its lack of weight.

I have the D2X on my shopping list and due to its pixel density I will not be using it on the 055, and only on the Benbo when I require to get at something the Slik will not allow.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre AI lens fit on Nikon cameras.jpg (132.3 KB, 14 views)