View Single Post
Old 16-09-07, 17:52

Default Politely tell them where to go

[quote=blackmarlin;22063]I thought I would just tell you about a little happening I had today on Liverpool Lime Street station.

I had taken about a dozen pictures when I was approached by two security men who asked what I was doing. I told them I was just taking pictures of trains approaching the station. I was told to stop straight away and if I refused I could be arrested under the prevention of terrorism act.

As a retired Police Officer with Special Branch experience I would tell them where to go... A Security man has no powers of arrest or detention unless he has been sworn in as a special constable, in which case he should be able to show you his warrant card; and any such unlawful and unreasonable action on their part would be both an assault on you and actionable in law - you would be able to afford 2 or 3 Nikon D3's on the resulting damages. Call someone close by and explain what is happening and ask them to witness the Security Mens actions, then invite them to call a proper British Rail Police Officer and repeat their allegation. They should back off if they have half a brain. Try and make note as soon as possible of any identity badges or numbers they display and make a written complaint to Network Rail as soon as possible after and send a duplicate to your M.P.
Andy M.
Please note above that the Network Rail links refer to guide lines - unless otherwise stated they are not bye-laws. But it is sensible to see a member of staff and tell them what you are about. I have never had any trouble when I've asked a member of staff if they minded me taking a few pics for my own use.

Last edited by andy153; 16-09-07 at 17:58.