View Single Post
Old 01-02-08, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
H3D sensor is a lot larger at 48x36mm so far larger photosites. I thought I would post it as a point of discussion.
24 mp is too much for me, so I have little more than a passing interest.
When it’s going to stop? It’s high time that camera manufacturers spend quality time to improve colour processing. It’s high time for printing industries to worry about higher bit colour processing for printing.

Think about those days when we had colour positive films on various formats. Jobs looked right. Printing looked right and all those huge billboards looked pin sharp. From that perspective what exactly is different today? Nothing, if I’m allowed to say that.

How many people in this world today take large prints on a regular basis? I’m not for a moment referring to photography lovers like us. They buy expensive cameras and shoot JPEGs. So that they can store them in computers/hard disks and share them on internet.
How large we want to see our photographs and where? A Nokia’s 2mp image produces good 5X7 prints for most to enjoy.

I’ve seen large prints (30X40) from various cameras ranging from 8mp to mine of 16.7mp. All printed on high (so called) dpi on archival inkjet printer. It was somehow difficult to differentiate the difference for me.

I’ve seen 120ft billboard enlargement from my 1Ds output. It looked better, sharp and more vibrant than what I had shot on 4/5 years ago. Yes, I agree that there are no generation losses today like film processing and scanning. We don’t have to wait holding our breath to see the results from colour labs.

World is heading for mega pixel game. But there is no change in day to day’s applications.

I’m sorry if I’ve said anything wrong here. It’s my view after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
D2X tiff is 70mb, so it makes you wonder what that would come out at from 24mp sensor.
Should be around 140mb (plus/minus) in RGB TIFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
I dread to think the computer horse-power required to process RAW images from something like that. My computer has only just caught up with my camera and was lagging far behind for three years.
Well, Stephen..
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Dare I say it ?? Get an Apple Mac!!!
..You have suggestion here.