View Single Post
Old 30-01-10, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
I use a printer profile that was created by my Spyder Pro.
Andy as you have tweaked the printer profile it maybe worth backing up the new one and re-installing the original profile as a test. For grey scale work it will use black ink only, but for colour work the shades of grey are a mix of all colours (Although some print setup will allow you to specify that black in used instead, sometimes know as GCR (Grey Component removal)). I know from experience getting the mix right without a cast is a problem especially when viewed under different lighting conditions.

For those who are interested, an insight into what is in a printer profile. Colour is a 3 dimensional object and the colour mapping is done through a 3 dimension array (tables of numbers). This array is often referred to as a colour cube. Each corner of the cube represents white, black, yellow, cyan, magenta, red, green, blue. The first attachment is a simple illustration of a colour cube. The cube has 3 co-ordinates (x,y and z) to represent a colour position within the cube. Think of each box holding a number to represent a colour. The number of positions in the cube depends on the size the array. Low end desktop printers are typically 7x7x7, 9x9x9 and high end commercial work 11x11x11 or 17x17x17. The size of the profile file is a good indicator of the size of the colour cube. 50Kb low end and up to 2Mb high end. The act of profiling is to modify the table values to the corrected colour for each position within the cube.

In the second attachment the green line passes through all the grey shade positions within the cube from black to white. The act of profiling may have changed some these grey position values to introduce the cast in question.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-07-11 at 22:34.