Thread: Light meters?
View Single Post
Old 17-01-06, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad
Hi, I have been trolling through some catalogues etc drooling over things I cant afford.

There is a plethora of light meters out there, and I was wondering.

Given the sophistication of TTL metering in Digital cameras, is it necessary to have a seprate light meter?

And if so what do they bring to photography that the TTL can not?

I assume if you are using manual settings they could be useful but again surely the camera's metering system etc is just as good?

Nogbad
Digital cameras can show you the image post exposure and more importantly show the histogram so you can judge how the exposure turned out. I have a small light meter (a rather nice but cheap Sekonic) but never use it now that I have gone to digital. There's just no point! Th eonly reason I can think of is that waving a camera around to take test exposures alerts others to the camera. Also previewing images uses up the battery. So using a meter is useful to a) allow candid photography, where you want to take the image quickly before the subjects realise they are being photographed and for some reason you do not want to rely on the cameras meter or b) to conserve the cameras battery for some reason. In case b) why not just carry a spare charged battery!

Leif