Thread: Light meters?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-06, 20:34

While I do not regard seperate lightmeters as a must have accessory I feel they do have their uses, even today. I bought mine years ago and still use it today, mainly taking incident light readings of subjects I am shooting in manual mode. An example is the Winter Aconite in my gallery. In this case it was a lot easier than trying to use the camera meter. I readily accept that for telephoto work, built in metering is the only way to go.

I do think for anyone struggling to grapple with linking shutter speeds, aperture and ISO as described in Duncans thread - ' Manual exposure mode, juggling three balls. ' that a cheap analogue meter would be useful as it links the three.

For those viewing this thread that are unfamiliar with an anologue lightmeter display I am posting a picture showing todays not so glorious Norfolk light. The reading has been taken and all aperture / shutter speed combinations you can see lined up would give the same exposure. The effect on the total range of possible exposure combinations of changing the ISO setting would be immediately visible.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gossen Profisix.JPG (86.7 KB, 22 views)