View Single Post
Old 20-03-08, 20:41

Default Nikon D300 Review.

I'm not going to start with any of the Specs - you can read them for yourselves at any Nikon web site.

So how do I find it?

To start with I should mention that I got mine with the MB-D10 battery pack so bear that in mind - I rarely take it off. It has the advantage of being able to use my batteries from either my D200 or my D2x. This gives it it's full 8fps power. It has an extra multi controller with it so in Portrait mode you are not scrabbling for controls.

The handling characteristics are almost identical to my D2x - Big, chunky, controls almost identical. With my Sigma Big Ma, 80-400 VR Nikkor or my AF-S 70-200 f2.8VR not the sort of thing to carry round your neck. I tend to use Optech padded straps - forget Nikons own unless you are showing off.

Larger rear screen - superb - only word for it.

Live view - forget the hand-held mode - but great on a tripod.

Focusing - probably the best part of the camera - the new sensor makes following birds in flight a dream and very fast - but apart from the Bigma all my lenses are Nikkor's so that is what I would expect, The Bigma responds just as well. Also the intelligent scene recognition works very well - and rarely focuses on parts I don't want.

Picture Profile mode: Interestingly there are some free downloads from Nikon that copy the picture characteristics of the D2x. I use these most of the time as I'm used to the D2x and like it. It's enhancement is not something I've tried yet but I will report back when I have done so.

Last bit for now: What should you expect? A solid, well built, reliable camera. I would rate it above the D200 and on a par with my D2x. Ergonomically it is better than the D2x when it has the MB-D10 attached. And I love the battery interchangeability. I just wish manufacturers, would decide on a Battery shape and stick to it, or at least give us one charger - one battery does most models.

Several of my latest gallery uploads have come from my D300 so please look there to see actual examples. I will post some more varied shots very shortly just as D300 examples - They will all be straight from the camera.

If you are contemplating a D300 of your own - I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Please enjoy and if any questions I'll try to answer them.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 20-03-08 at 20:48.