Thread: Airshow Advice
View Single Post
Old 21-09-06, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
Nick, I'm not aware of any disabled gate concessions, there aren't any listed on the website http://www.shuttleworth.org or an any of the show flyers that I've got. If you give the office/shop a ring (01767 627927) they'll confirm this either way.

There's a separate disabled parking area at the top of the field near the beer hut. It's grass not tarmac but if you're happier parking on the tarmac then I'm sure you can find space by the camper vans. The disabled area gives you a good view from the top of the field and it's not too far from the loos, hangars, restaurant and shop. You can watch the show from the side of your car, there are good views from anywhere on the field, which slopes down towards the airstrip and therefore provide a natural arena, but if you'd prefer to get closer then you might want to site yourself somewhere on the crowd fence. The large gate to the track which runs across the field to the farm opposite is a pretty good spot as is the small gate at the apex of the crowd line or a spot by the tower often yields good shots. Very few people make use of the excellent opportunities at the far right-hand end by the ticket booth as you enter the airfield. This spot allows you to catch the planes as they turn in for a run along the display line and you can get some cracking shots. I'm surprised that more people haven't worked this out for themselves.

If you've got any questions on the day then ask any one of the security staff or volunteers, I'm sure they'll be very helpful. I'm a member of the liveside photography/security team, my name's on my hi-vis jacket (Rob Leigh) so say hello if you see me.

I hope you have a great time, fingers crossed for some lovely golden lighting.

Rob

Ollie, I wish you'd think a little more before posting about the woes of Duxford. None of the things you've stated were a problem for you at Flying Legends since you chose not to pay and freeloaded from a field. Why just jump on the bandwagon when none of these things affected you? Lots of people read the content of what's posted here, they probably go away with an opinion about you rather than one about Duxford.
Thanks Rob,

Its not a problem for me getting around as long as the ground is firm, you have given me many options on best vantage points thanks, is the crowd line the best place?

Cheers
Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon 1.4x II and 2.0x II Extenders (TC's).