View Single Post
Old 26-06-09, 21:31

Gordon/Andy,
Yes a letter for permission is good etiquette, the recent "Estate Agent" shot I posted was from Wells by Sea, and I have permission for personal use, the difference being that the beach area is part of a true private owners estate. The NT mission states something like "for ever, for everyone" and its a National "Service". In trust for all of us. So there is a difference. Like I say, open right to roam areas should be free from restriction in photographic terms, whatever the use.
Fair enough for NT to negotiate rights and permissions for the pay entry and or sensitive sites.
I'm a fan of the NT and its conservation and access works, they say the law has been in existance for a long time and pro's are in agreement, so whats the fuss.

I can't help but think the "Alamy" affair is a cynical way of obtaining income and monopolising. I can't speak with authority as I'm amateur but if they wanted to enforce policy on open areas there's nowt we can do. Difficult as it would be to police if they targeted a few individuals for civil court action and won. Well the ripple effect could be profound.

The NT also have some fantastic photographers on the payroll like Joe Cornish, so it's not as though the ranks of amateurs can compete in terms of marketable quality. Certainly not if we can't practice

Cheers
Ned