View Single Post
Old 27-06-09, 11:57

Adey,
Yes indeed very incisive, I agree that it is one of many erosions of freedom and could lead to more?

Imagine what the news would look like if each local authority devised bye -laws that meant thre media had to a) have permission and b) were subject to rights control with regard to the stuff they produce.

Put simply its censorship.

I'm not for one second saying the NT are attempting censorship, I think their motive is probably financial. However they are eroding freedoms in certain circumstances.
I can see you point on a membership rebellion, but I fear that there are many who just don't get it. If your focus as a memeber is say conservation, you may well be "conservative" by nature, so why change anything. Just a thought not a sweeping statement about NT members.

I have been made aware of the zealots employed by the NT, but also they have at local level individuals who are very reasonable and obligeing to photographers. I have photographed Fountains Abbey and chatted with NT staff on site without challenge, and to my shame without a property release. So I have the images in the metaphorical "shoe box" under the bed.........well nearly.

The point is lack of consistency with policy.

You make good reference to people wanting to record the "day out". The enthusiast however does more than that, they record our culture,heritage and history. Albeit to broad and varying quality.

I'm not sure what will happen, as there a range of issues which may well divide opinion and any oppositon.

Cheers
Ned