View Single Post
Old 04-01-17, 09:38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Normally you hear about GAS with guitar players (who suffer in exactly the same way as photographers and even computer users).

It's always tempting to seek out something new, and this might be a legit approach if you're doing photography (or music or computer work) professionally and need to keep up for the sake of delivering results to the client in a competitive manner.

But if you're shooting for fun, I suspect there is no need to chase the wind with your wallet open.

For example, here is an image upon which I added some artsy effects. What gear did I take it with, and when? If you can't tell, it proves my point.
I think that all that photo shows is how you can use digital effects to give an image a particular look, it is not about the photography but about the processing. That said it is amazing just how good some compacts and mobile phone cameras have become, what they do lack is the control of DoF that you can get with a DSLR and a fast lens. That is probably why I always find some new toy to buy!