View Single Post
Old 24-12-12, 03:21

Default The Rule of Thirds

Yes, for some completely mysterious reason, many images simply look more interesting when this rule is followed. I'd love to know exactly what it is about the human brain that makes that so.

That being the case, there are many images I've taken that completely break the "rule" and are equally compelling.

There's an excellent Stieglitz shot (I think) where this guy is walking across a puddle of water, and walking out of the shot! Another rule totally broken. And yet the image is compelling and would be very much less so if the "rules" were followed.

My whole take on this is similar to what the professional tennis players probably went through: in the beginning, they were surly taught all the rules of how to hold the rackette, etc., and this is a good thing. We need to learn the basics, understand the template. But at some point, the pro players break many of these rules. See some of the more radical grips that pros use nowadays, grips that were once not even dreamed of.

It's the same with us photographers. Know the basics, and after you're comfortable with them, forget them forever.