View Single Post
Old 01-02-07, 10:16
Chris

As a very fresh newcomer to RAW (CR2 on 350D), I mostly agree with Nirofo. However I have found that Digital Photo Professional bundled with the camera has such an amazingly well thought out intuitive interface, that it is quicker and infinitely pleasanter to use than PSE4 which I have used endlessly for Pana FZ7 (no RAW). It could be that the mac version of DPP is actually written for mac not a ghastly port, whereas PSE4 combines all the 30 years of accumulation without rewrite of PS with very bad port to mac wih hardly any keyboard shortcuts.

There is no doubt a vast amount of stuff I have not yet discovered in all of 48 hours and wonder if anyone else would be intersted in DPP thread equivalent to the Nikon Capture one?

Even if very little needs doing (as seems the case with 350D in most instances), it takes seconds for a fine tweak, command D, size to 1024x768 and done. The only things I haven't found (but not needed so far is a fine horiz/vertical correct tool - or easy way of adding signature, although its in exif)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
The thing about RAW versus JPEG depends realistically on what you intend to do with your final image? If it's just for showing on the web or for producing enprint sized hard copies then JPEG is more than adequate. If on the other hand you intend doing more with your images, such as publishing in glossy mags, exhibition prints or for making your fellow club members jealous then it's RAW all the way. Natural history photography, insects, birds etc, demands the maximum detail that can be obtained, once again RAW holds the most detail and is capable of superior enlargement without blowing. It's horses for courses, decide what you want to do with your final images, for most general photographers I think JPEG fine will suit, if you're into Landscapes, Natural History or Macro subjects then it's got to be RAW, you can always make a JPEG from your RAW file, you can't make a RAW file from a JPEG!

nirofo.