View Single Post
Old 01-02-07, 14:14

I used to shoot JPEG in my fuji days simply because the RAW files were 20MB and the camera took approx 20 seconds to write each file!

When I upgraded to the Nikon D2X compressed RAW files are 10MB even though the resolution is double that of the Fuji and they are written in a split second.

I edit these images in Nikon Capture NX and save the editted RAW file is NX uses non-destructive editting for NEF's (Nikon Electronic Format). I also save as TIFF for further editting in CS. Once I have finished an image the TIFF used as an intermediate file format is deleted (70Mb or so each) I therefore use no extra disk space apart from the RAW file and a few 100k for each finished JPEG.

The beauty of this is, should I get contacted by someone wishing to use on the the images its a very quick and accurate way to recreate the JPEG as seen by the customer as a larger file for printing and publishing.

I used to hate being contacted for photo use but now I can knock out a custom file in minutes thus respond quickly to peoples demands.

For information I was juggling three enquires yesterday and have quickly provided images for books, magazines and flyer's in the past year.

I shoot everything in RAW - its so versatile.