View Single Post
Old 12-10-08, 11:09
Super Moderator

Default Computer power help needed.

I need some help about surge protectors. About 6 months ago I purchased B&Q Intelligent Extension Lead with Built in surge protector.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2007/10/bq_aims_to_save.html the middle one of the three.

I have been having computer and numerous memory faults for the last few months. It has been taking ages to boot, stopping at the first screen with only 1 CPU showing and then 5 minutes later showing second CPU then continuing to boot normally. Yesterday it just wouldn't boot at all it just had a long beep on switch on. I phoned tech support and he told me to switch memory chips and still nothing happened, he told me it was probably bad memory. I took it into the shop and he exchanged the memory, I thought great fixed just before the warranty runs out. This is the 3rd set of memory chips.

On setting up the computer at home I am still having the same problem, it being very slow to boot up. Not Happy I thought I would be ringing tech support again tomorrow Monday.

A light bulb came on this morning while in bed. I though surely the shop would have noticed the slow boot up on start up, now why didn't he mention it. So on getting up I disconnected everything of the Intelligent Extension lead and plugged everything straight into an ordinary extension, guess what the machine now boots up normaly.

My question is, could the Intelligent Ext Lead cut the power so much that it could damage the computers memory and is there a better unit out there.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.