View Single Post
Old 20-08-10, 20:06

Default Close up lenses

One low cost option is close up lenses. Quality of these is a big factor to consider. The ones used here, apart from the 4x, are Hoya from the 1980's so I do not know how they compare with todays offerings. You really get what you pay for with these, and higher quality offerings from 3x often have two elements. To ensure that the 100% views would be a realistic reflection of these particular lenses I use my 55 micro which is sharp across the frame.

The first thing when considering close up lenses is trying to guage the field of view, or subject magnification, for a given dioptre. Tricky if you are just looking at a catalogue or web page. To show that I have done a quick job from 1x to 5x on a crop sensor. To arrive at scale I chose 55mm as the most likely long end of a kit zoom. Focus was near 2ft to represent what may be near the minimum focus of such a lens. Lens focus remained unchanged throughout the set.

The closeups I used here are 52mm, the lens filter size. However if you look at Ros's gallery for anything stating 'diy closeup lens', then for none critical at the edge of frame subjects they are an affordable solution. Ros has a number of her shots printed to A4 hanging on her wall and they look great. In the case of the close up lenses that Ros has, these are of bigger diameter than the lens thread and that may have a positive impact. Ros's gallery here
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...user=2754&sl=r

Pics attached
Two sets going from 1x to 5x
A composite with 100% unsharpened views from the 2x, 3x, and a stack of the 2x and 3x giving 5x.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Closeup lens fov 1.jpg (264.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Closeup lens fov 2.jpg (174.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Centre and edge.jpg (130.1 KB, 7 views)