View Single Post
Old 25-05-10, 16:44
Super Moderator

That's a superb set of sweeping statements - hopefully it will have the desired effect and get a bit of discussion going...

If used well then a prime should outperform an equivelent zoom lens, though in real world shooting you often struggle to see the difference. I've got both primes and zooms and like both - my main birding lens is a prime which I love as the IQ is stunning and I very rarely want a shorter focal length. However for shooting people I tend to use a pair of zooms and it allows me to alter my framing without moving closer and distracting the subject (I find this particularly handy when photographing kids).

I was recently involved in a discussion about primes vs zooms and one chap was explaining how much better his 85 f1.2 prime was compared to a 24-105 f4 zoom that I had. I couldn't argue that the extra stops would give him and huge advantage in low light and that at f4 his lens was clearly sharper. However I did have to laugh when he then turned on his studio lights and started shooting at f11 and was still claiming that his prime gave him a real advantage, when the results showed no difference between the lenses...