View Single Post
Old 02-06-06, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
I read on a recent forum that changing the bios settings to basic then restarting the computer may allow you overcome the AMD64/MS SP2 problem and allow you to boot into safe mode, once there you can copy your files to another partition on the hard drive or to a secondary hard drive. If you don't have another partition or a secondary drive, then you will need to save your files to a CD or DVD writer. Make a note of all your bios settings so that you can re-install them before you attempt this procedure.

Incidentally, the AMD64 processors are not incompatible with MS SP2, it may be that you need to upgrade your bios to the latest version.

nirofo.
He did manage to get to the desktop by doing something in the bios (I'm not techie enough to understand all he was doing). He was also able to get into safe mode after installing the patch - but there's no start bar and nothing opens properly. I think he said something about getting there with network prompts, which is an option offered when it's attempting to reboot. he's definitely made some valuable progress so I was able to check if there was anything important that I don't already have backed up on CD. Fortunately - I backed up almost everything a couple of weeks ago and there's not a lot of data stored on the PC. It's the inconvenience that's the worst part of it, though I can at least do the vital things via my husband's old PC.

He's been discussing each stage with Mesh technical support and they say it does sometimes happen this way with my particular model and that's why they're posting another disc and written instructions as to the next possible solutions. Some people found everything came right when the patch was installed - others ended up having to reformat.

I'm very grateful for the various suggestions and I've sent my son a link to this thread, just in case there's anything here that he hasn't already tried - or possible discussed with Mesh technical support.

Thanks again.

Pol