View Single Post
Old 02-01-07, 18:52

Gordon, I appreciate your view re chilled in the morning and chilled in the fridge to an extent.

There is a difference! During the summer, temperatures do not drop so far that the majority of insects cannot fly in some manner to escape predators.

Also bear in mind that when insects retire at night they pick the best site which will offer them the highest protection and camoflage available, (try finding dragonflys first thing in the morning! Very difficult!!)

Moths lay up in the day and releasing them after photographing during the day usually result in predation.

Predators are very savvy as to where and when insects or a viable food source are available.

As a Moth recorder the birds in my garden very soon realised there were rich pickings to be had if any of my captures escaped when emptying the trap. I now have to release in different areas and time to avoid the sparrows, Robins etc from taking advantage.

What is paramount here is our effect on the species. Wildlife, especially insects have declined dramatically in the last 10 years through our interference and impact on their environment. We really need to consider their welfare even if they are only just an insect and appear inconsequential in our scheme of things.

It is up to us as photographers and our responsibility to cause as little impact to the wildlife we nedd for the making of our images.

Nogbad